An alternative web client for Mastodon, focused on speed and simplicity.
For updates and support, follow @email@example.com.
Pinafore supports the latest versions of the following browsers:
Compatible versions of each (Opera, Brave, Samsung, etc.) should be fine.
Goals and non-goals
- Support the most common use cases
- Small page weight
- Fast even on low-end devices
- Offline support in read-only mode
- Progressive Web App features
- Multi-instance support
- Support latest versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari
- Support non-Mastodon instances (e.g. Pleroma) as well as possible
Secondary / possible future goals
- Serve as an alternative frontend tied to a particular instance
- Offline search
- Supporting old browsers, proxy browsers, or text-based browsers
- React Native / NativeScript / hybrid-native version
- Android/iOS apps (using Cordova or similar)
- Emoji support beyond the built-in system emoji
- Multi-column support
- Admin/moderation panel
- Offline support in read-write mode (would require sophisticated sync logic)
To build Pinafore for production, first install dependencies:
yarn --production --pure-lockfile
PORT=4002 node server.js
To build a Docker image for production:
docker build .
docker run -d -p 4002:4002 [your-image]
Now Pinafore is running at
Alternatively, use docker-compose to build and serve the image for production:
docker-compose up --build -d
The image will build and start, then detach from the terminal running at
To keep your version of Pinafore up to date, you can use
git to check out the latest tag:
git checkout $(git tag -l | sort -Vr | head -n 1)
Pinafore is a static site. When you run
yarn build, static files will be
It is not recommended to directly expose these files when self-hosting. Instead, you should use
node server.js (e.g. with an
nginx or Apache proxy in front). This adds several things you don't get from the raw static files:
- CSP headers (important for security)
- Certain dynamic routes (less important because of Service Worker managing routing, but certain things could break if Service Workers are disabled in the user's browser)
Having an nginx config generator is currently an open issue.
Developing and testing
See CONTRIBUTING.md for how to run Pinafore in dev mode and run tests.
For a changelog, see the GitHub releases.
For a list of breaking changes, see BREAKING_CHANGES.md.